Monday 23 April 2012

Shake your money maker

28th September 2011

Late last night, a friend of mine posted a video on his Facebook profile of a BBC News interview with a trader. I'm not normally one for watching posted videos, most of them are boring self-indulgent attempts at an ego boost from their friends, but it takes a good title or intriguing freeze frame of said video to draw me in.

I am still undecided about how thankful I am that I watched the footage this evening. I was left feeling... well, speechless. And then quite a few things hit me at once.

The first thing that surprised me was how candid and honest this man was about traders and his own dishonest intentions. In such uncertain times, one would assume that nobody would admit to dreaming of making money from other people's misfortune, and I was not the only one (see BBC news article link below).  But those people are out there, and I certainly needed to be reminded that actually, everything may not work out.

Then I thought about why it was so unbelievable for someone to be honest on the news. I've always thought audiences were used to the bad and negative news, so I was surprised why people were questioning how genuine this guy was. Then I realised that we are not used to being told bad news in a simple, straight-talking format.
If this collapse is unavoidable as suggested by Allessio Rastani, and people will lose their savings by the end of the year, then a part of me is relieved not have any significant finance to my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment